Get closer to distant detail with the big 42x optical zoom or fit more in the scene with 24mm ultra-wide angle using this tiny, bridge-style camera with comfortable ergonomic grip that's easy to carry, whatever the occasion. Keep shooting for longer with Eco Mode, which reduces battery consumption. Making great movies is fun and easy. With one touch of a button you can effortlessly shoot great HD movies (720p) in MP4 format. Experience the creative versatility of shooting movies using the optical zoom and still enjoy sharp, steady results thanks to the Dynamic Image Stabilizer.
- 42x Optical Zoom (24–1008mm)
- Don’t miss a moment with the versatility of the PowerShot SX420 IS camera’s 42x Optical Zoom lens. It gives you a reach all the way from 24mm to 1008mm, which means if you're capturing your child playing sports at the far end of the field, you can still see his movements and expressions. A 24mm wide-angle lens enables easy capture of brilliant landscapes and large group portraits, and the Optical Image Stabilizer helps ensure you get clear and virtually noise-free images whether you’re shooting near or far.
- Built-in Wi-Fi® and NFC allows for easy sharing and transferring of images and videos
- Built-in Wi-Fi® technology allows for on-the-go convenience when you want to share your photos and videos with friends and family. Easily post your images to social networking and media sites – Facebook®, Twitter®, YouTube™, Flickr®, and Google Drive™ – through CANON iMAGE GATEWAY* directly from your PowerShot SX420 IS camera, or save them to the online photo album to share anytime, anywhere. The camera can also connect directly to both compatible iOS®** and Android™ devices***, and upload images via the free Canon Camera Connect app** without a computer.
- You can control the destination of your uploads to share with everyone or to select groups, and even add comments. Sharing video is also easy with Wi-Fi® equipped PowerShot cameras, which record video using the easy-to-share MP4 format. Wi-Fi® capability makes posting in real time possible, so you can keep everyone up to date with photos and video even as events unfold.
- Wi-Fi® technology also allows you to transfer images to other Wi-Fi® equipped PowerShotcameras or print your photos directly to a PictBridge (Wireless LAN) certified printer. Thanks to the newly added Wi-Fi Button, you can now connect in both Shooting mode and Playback mode for quick and easy operation. You can even turn on the camera and connect at the same time with just one press of the button, helping you get right to sharing and managing your files when you like.
- Built-in NFC (Near Field Communication) Technology
- PowerShot digital cameras with built-in NFC (Near Field Communication) technology provide fast connectivity with a single tap. Simply touch the NFC icon on your camera to your compatible Android™ device***, and the Camera Connect app will launch automatically for quick, easy sharing of your images.
- Built-in NFC technology also makes it simpler to install the app. If the app hasn't been installed yet, once you touch the devices together for the first time, the download screen will display automatically. Simply touch the camera against an NFC-equipped device with the Canon Camera Connect app** installed, and a Wi-Fi® connection is established – no camera operations required. Even if your camera is off, NFC turns the camera on and establishes the connection (confirming the camera's nickname and privacy settings before the first connection is required).
Image Capture Device
- Type: 20.2 Megapixel, 1/2.3-inch CMOS
- Total Pixels: Approx. 20.5 Megapixels
*Image processing may cause a decrease in the number of pixels
- Effective Pixels :
- Approx. 20.0 Megapixels*
* Image processing may cause a decrease in the number of pixels.
- Focal Length: 4.3 (W) - 180.6 (T) mm (35mm film equivalent: 24-1008mm)
- Digital Zoom: 4x
- Focusing Range:
- Normal: 2.0 in. (5.0cm) - infinity (W), 4.6 ft. (1.4m) - infinity (T)
- Auto/Manual: 0.0 in. (0.0cm) - infinity (W), 4.6 ft. (1.4m) - infinity (T)
- Macro: 0.0 in. - 1.6 ft. (0-50cm) (W)
- Infinity: 9.8 ft. (3.0m) - infinity (W), 9.8 ft. (3.0m) - infinity (T)
- Autofocus System: TTL Autofocus
- Optical Viewfinder: Not available
- LCD Monitor: 3.0-inch TFT Color LCD with wide viewing angle (4:3)
- LCD Pixels:
- LCD Coverage: Approx. 100%
Aperature and Shutter
- Maximum Aperature: f/3.5 (W), f/6.6 (T)
- Shutter Speed:
- 1-1/4000 sec.
- 15-1 sec. (in Long Shutter Mode)
- Sensitivity: Auto, ISO 100-1600
- Light Metering Method: Evaluative, Center Weighted Average, Spot
- Exposure Compensation: Still Images: ±2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- White Balance Control: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Custom
- Built-in Flash: Auto, On, Slow Synchro, Off
- Flash Range:
- 1.6-16.0 ft. (W), 4.6-8.9 (T)
- 50.0cm - 5.0m (W), 1.4-2.7m (T)
- Shooting Modes:P, Live View Control, Auto, Portrait, Face Self-Timer, Low Light, Fisheye Effect, Miniature Effect, Toy Camera Effect, Monochrome, Super Vivid, Poster Effect, Fireworks, Long Shutter
- Photo Effects:My Colors Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Custom Color
- Self Timer: Off / 2 Sec. / 10 Sec. / Custom
- Wireless Control: Built-in Wi-Fi® and NFC
- Continuous Shooting:
- Normal Continuous Shooting in Auto/P modes: Approx. 0.5 shots/sec.
Normal Continuous Shooting AF in Low Light mode: Approx. 2.2 shots/sec.
- Under lighting conditions where flash does not fire automatically.
- Excluding RAW and RAW+JPEG.
- Until memory card becomes full.
- Storage Media: SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards
- File Format: Design rule for Camera File system (DCF) compliant; DPOF (Version 1.1) compatible
- Image Recording Format: Superfine / Fine
- JPEG Compression Mode:
- Still Image: Exif. 2.3 (JPEG)
- Video: MP4 (Image: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264; Audio: MPEG-4 AAC-LC (Monaural))
- Numer of Recording Pixels:
- Still Images:
- 16:9 - Large: 5152 x 2896; Medium 1: 3648 x 2048; Medium 2: 1920 x 1080; Small: 640 x 360
- 3:2 - Large: 5152 x 3432; Medium 1: 3648 x 2432; Medium 2: 2048 x 1368; Small: 640 x 424
- 4:3 - Large: 5152 x 3864; Medium 1: 3648 x 2736; Medium 2: 2048 x 1536; Medium: 2560 x 1920; Small: 640 x 480
- 1:1 - Large: 3856 x 3856; Medium 1: 2736 x 2736; Medium 2: 1536 x 1536; Small: 480 x 480
- HD 1280 x 720: 25.00 fps
- 640 x 480: 29.97 fps
Number of Recordable Images
- Image Data: Approx. Number of Shots Recordable to 16 GB Memory Card
Time of Recordable Movies
- Movie Data: Total Movie Time Recordable
- The values in the table are based on Canon measurement conditions and may change depending on the subject, memory card and camera settings.
- After Low-level formatting.
||Frame Rate/Video System
||Recording Time per 16 GB Memory Card (Approx.)
||Single Clip Recording Time (Approx.)*1
||Movie Size (KB/sec.)
||Video Recording Bit Rate
|When Movie button is pressed in Auto
(1280 x 720)
||2 hr. 35 min. 37 sec.
||29 min. 59 sec.
||Approx. 15 Mbps
(640 x 480)
||8 hr. 25 min.
||Approx. 3 Mbps
*1 Using an SD Speed Class 10 / UHS-I compatible memory card.
• Recording stops automatically once the file size reaches 4 GB or the memory card becomes full.
• Recording may stop unexpectedly if a memory card with a low Speed Class is used.
- Playback Modes File:
- Protect, Favorites, Erase, Slideshow, Rotate, i-Contrast, Resize, Cropping, Red-Eye Correction, My Colors, Photobook Set-up, Scroll Display, Auto Rotate, Resume, Transition Effect
- Video Out: NTSC/PAL
- Audio Out: Monaural
- Hi-Speed USB (Mini-B); direct connection to Canon SELPHY, PIXMA Photo Printers & PictBridge compatible printers
- Power Source: Battery Pack NB-11LH
- Shooting Capacity:
- Approx. 195 shots
- Approx. 260 shots in ECO Mode
- Video Recording Time: Approx. 50 min.
- Playback Time: Approx. 5 hr.
- Operating Temperature: 32-104°F / 0-40°C
- Operating Humidity: 10-90%
- Width: 4.11"
- Height: 2.72"
- Depth: 3.35"
Get your questions answered by the community!