Volta is a virtual instrument plug-in that turns your audio interface into a voltage control interface.
Any hardware device with a control voltage (CV) input can be placed under precise digital control from your favorite audio workstation software. You can play and automate modulars, analog synths - even effects processors.
Imagine being able to play and automate your CV-equipped analog gear from Digital Performer, Logic Pro, or Live with the same level of control, precision and convenience as a virtual instrument.
Here are just a few examples of what you can do
- Perform MIDI sequencing with external
modular synths with sample-accurate precision (if your host sequencer
supports sample-accurate MIDI).
- Automatically calibrate and tune oscillators
with the click of a button.
- Use ramp automation in your host audio
software to control filters, envelope generators, effects processors and
other voltage-controlled external gear.
- Apply LFOs, step sequencers and pattern
sequencers to CV inputs and tempo-sync them to your host software timeline.
Whether you’re a seasoned modular synthesizer
devotee or simply a computer-based studio owner dreaming of adding that rich,
coveted sound only true analog synths can deliver, Volta finally enables you to
easily incorporate CV-equipped analog gear into your computer-based studio with
all the control, precision and convenience of a virtual instrument.
Volta feature highlights
- Standard virtual instrument plug-in that
turns an audio interface with DC-coupled outputs into a voltage control
- Lets you control external modular synths or
other CV-equipped gear from your computer.
- Works with Digital Performer, Logic Pro,
Live and other Audio Unit instrument hosts that support side chain outputs.
- Works with any MOTU audio interface equipped
with TRS outputs, including the 24io with 24 TRS outputs, expandable to 96.
- Familiar, easy-to-use instrument plug-in
operation within your favorite host software.
- Provides 24 control outputs per plug-in
instance. Use as many instances as needed.
- Converts MIDI track data to control voltages
to play modulars, analog synthesizers and other CV-equipped sound sources.
- Sample-accurate MIDI playback with
supporting host software (such as DP).
- Provides seven different control source
types, including MIDI notes, MIDI controller data and audio track
automation, plus tempo-synced sources such as LFOs, clock pulses and
- Provides one-click pitch and octave
calibration per oscillator using either Hz/V or V/oct tuning standards.
- View at a glance the total calibrated range
for each oscillator/interface combination.
- Sync multiple drum machines, arpeggiators
and other clock destinations with independent PPQ resolution for each
- Mac OS X (version 10.4 or later)
- An audio sequencer software package that
hosts MAS or Audio Unit (AU) instrument plug-ins and supports multiple
instrument sidechain outputs, such as Digital Performer, Logic, or Ableton
- An audio interface with DC-coupled outputs,
such as any MOTU FireWire, USB2, or PCI audio interface with quarter-inch
- The proper cable type for your interface.
- External audio hardware that responds to
control voltage signals, such as modular analog synthesizers, vintage
- A free USB port for the iLok USB key. Note
that if you have multiple products which use iLoks for authorization you can
consolidate multiple authorizations onto a single iLok; see this tech note.
Get your questions answered by the community!